Applications to our Ph.D. program are due by December 15, 2021. Please submit your application via the online tool [http://gsas.harvard.edu/apply]. Complete applications include:
1) A Statement of Purpose
2) A Writing Sample no longer than 20 pages
3) Three Letters of Recommendation
6) While the GRE is required for admission, we recognize that applicants may be facing circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic that prevent them from being able to take the GRE as planned. If this applies to you, please see The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences information on next steps.
7) Applicants who are non-native English speakers and who received their undergraduate degree from a non-English speaking institution must take the Internet based test (iBT) of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
8) Payment of application fees
For more detailed information about admissions and application requirements, please visit our GSAS African and African American Studies Admissions page and the Admissions FAQ page.